Just earlier this year I was adamant that I would be enjoying a maximum of 6 months in Madrid. Just enough time to soak up the Madrileño lifestyle, reinvigorate my Spanish skills, make some friends, travel and have some new experiences as an Auxiliar de Conversación. But guess what? I’m moving to Spain. Again. For the third time.
Why, might you ask? Why not focus on my career or travel other parts of the globe (which trust me, I am CRAVING to do. But just not riiiiight now.) Inspired by a post I wrote 9 months ago, I thought I’d share some of the reasons why I am going back for España Parte III:
- Because travel bug. It will be my third time living in Europe. I truly believe that the more you travel, the more you realize how big the world is and the bucket list just keeps getting longer and longer. I’m glad that I am proving to my 21 year old self that world travel won’t end when you’re 25 (or 30 or 40+). Other destinations will come when the time is right.
- Because I’m still 25. Madrid was a great change of scenery. Quiero más!
- Because my Spanish has improved so much. Even after a 3 year hiatus. However my improved Spanish skills only proved to me just how much more I have to learn.
- Because I am extremely privileged. I am so grateful that by chance (and the hard work and sacrifices of my parents), I was born into a life of abundant opportunities. I understand that the lifestyle I choose to lead is one of privilege (and not entitlement). So thanks Mum, love you <3.
- Because I feel like the old “me” is back. When I was working full-time, living out of home, focusing on my career in Sydney, I did feel like the adventurous, spontaneous, whimsical little nomad in me was dying away. I am so glad that I took this opportunity to go back to Spain. The travel spark has been reignited once again.
- Because there are more skills that I can develop as an Auxiliar/Teacher.
- Because I’ve achieved more clarity on what career I want. I loved my previous marketing job and would like to go back into something similar. Just not right now.
- Because there will still be jobs, apartment, dance classes, friends and family waiting for me in Sydney.
- Because there’s still time for marriage, children and a mortgage.
- Because I’ve already started a great life and met some damn amazing people in Madrid. And it only feels right to be sharing this experience with them in the upcoming year and keep running with it.
To those in Sydney, hasta luego. And to those I’m seeing soon, nos vemos prontito!